Meeting log: "Meeting Chat" @ Sunday 4th of December 2016

[20:00:19] <Pretorian> Welcome to DCNF monthly meeting, it is 2016-12-04.
[20:00:23] <Pretorian> For simplicity sake, I will be the chairman and Crise has agreed to act as secretary.
[20:00:26] <Pretorian> What we do need is a head count, so just state your names. 
[20:00:29] <Pretorian> Pretorian
[20:00:31] <cologic> cologic
[20:00:32] <poytest> poy
[20:00:41] <Crise> Crise
[20:00:45] <Pretorian> All right
[20:00:46] <Pretorian> There's a few items from the last meeting;
[20:00:52] <Pretorian> 1) Write additional HTTPS article. (cologic)
2) E-mail to EFF/GNU about license for the website (Pretorian)
3) Finalize donators list (Pretorian)
4) Migrate ASCIIDocs to Markdown (Pretorian)
5) Challenge-response of webpages (cologic)
6) Prepare DCNF web pages for affiliated projects (Crise)
7) Review NMDC URI scheme (Pretorian, cologic, Crise, poy)
8) Propose inclusion of affiliated projects (poy)
[20:01:07] <Pretorian> (last meeting in october, due to the meeting being cancelled in november)
[20:01:17] <Pretorian>  Item 1) HTTPS
[20:01:19] <Pretorian> cologic?
[20:01:28] <cologic> Done.
[20:01:44] <cologic> ... s-encrypt/
[20:01:55] <Pretorian> Ah, right.
[20:01:57] <Pretorian> Great.
[20:02:26] <Pretorian> Is there anything else you wish to add? E.g., write more articles?
[20:02:35] <Pretorian> Or think there should be more articles in the same vain from others?
[20:03:15] <cologic> At the moment, I don't have anything in mind, but I do periodically consider possible topics. The SSE2/SSE3 articles probably won't see a reprise for a while, since SSSE3 (the next step) is far away.
[20:03:26] <Pretorian> Fair enough.
[20:03:43] <Pretorian> Well, if you think additional articles (by others) are in order, feel free to suggest them.
[20:03:51] <Pretorian> Let's move on.
[20:03:55] <Pretorian> 2) E-mail to EFF
[20:04:16] <Pretorian> Mail in progress, I've writting a small note which Crise has reviewed.
[20:04:29] <Pretorian> I'll update the mail with Crise's comments and send it.
[20:04:35] <Pretorian> Hopefully we'll get some more responses.
[20:04:51] <Pretorian> Err, hopefully we'll get an actual response this time, I mean.
[20:05:16] <Pretorian> I don't think there's anything more to add, I'll have that mail sent today.
[20:05:24] <Pretorian> 3) finalize donators list
[20:05:36] <Pretorian> This is done, I think? <>
[20:05:53] <Pretorian> It needs to be updated with the latest people that have donated.
[20:06:04] <Crise> Basically it is done... I did some beutification on it from the first version, but yeah only pending updates
[20:06:37] <poytest> maybe add dates to the donation list?
[20:06:48] <Pretorian> poy: Is that needed? 
[20:06:58] <Crise> (read: if you want to use tables on the site, check that page for an example how to do so with the right style)
[20:07:16] <poytest> I feel they would seem more contextualized with dates; atm the list looks somewhat random.
[20:07:59] <Crise> re adding dates: it might be good idea... a question to ask is how a same person donating multiple times should be listed
[20:08:00] <Pretorian> I have no immediate problem adding dates, if others also want dates.
[20:08:09] <poytest> it would look like an actual log.
[20:08:22] <Pretorian> It's currently listed in the chronological order it was submitted.
[20:09:00] <Pretorian> But sure, I can provide the necessary update so date is added.
[20:09:27] <Pretorian> I'll make an item for next meeting
[20:09:44] <Pretorian> Anything else regarding the donators list?
[20:10:25] <Crise> not from me
[20:10:38] <Pretorian> I'll take that as a 'no'. Let's go on.
[20:10:43] <Pretorian> 4) Migrate ASCIIDocs to Markdown
[20:11:39] <Pretorian> I've begun research for this, as far as I can see it's possible to do with ASCIIDoc in conjunction with Pandoc.
[20:12:03] <Pretorian> However, I've hit a roadblock on my main PC and my virtual PCs are currently offline...
[20:12:11] <Pretorian> Will continue this process in the coming days.
[20:12:15] <Crise> can it produce document fragments (ie. incomplete documents
[20:12:23] <Pretorian> Hm, no idea.
[20:12:40] <Pretorian> Pretty much everyone is just suggesting Pandoc, not really how one can use it.
[20:13:20] <Crise> that is the main problem with asciidoc, that being its generally used on whole documents and their themes make the html ill-suited for embedding into an existing site
[20:13:26] <Pretorian> My idea is to start merging the ADC project and then NMDC project and then anything else missing.
[20:14:54] <Pretorian> I've been able to produce a "DocBook" file with ASCIIDoc.
[20:15:10] <Pretorian> Apparently that, in conjunction with Pandoc, can produce Markdown formatted files.
[20:15:27] <Pretorian> The DocBook file is basically a large XML file.
[20:15:40] <Crise> Yeah, seems likely... besically go from asciidoc -> docbook -> markdown
[20:16:08] <Pretorian> <> 
[20:16:08] <Crise> direct conversions from asciidoc to markdown is not possible with any tool afaik
[20:16:28] <Pretorian> No idea if that is sufficiently fragmented or not.
[20:16:47] <Pretorian> used " -b docbook ADC.txt"
[20:17:18] <Crise> well if it creates reasonable markdown out of it then it will be
[20:17:25] <Pretorian> Anyway, I'll keep at it and maybe we can get Markdown files.
[20:17:41] <Pretorian> It should be doable this week.
[20:18:20] <Crise> the other option would be restructured text, as that also has a parser for PHP if markdown doesn't cut it (the lack of standardisation in markdown could be an issue)
[20:18:28] <Pretorian> All right, I'll keep at it and will consult you Crise if I hit a snag.
[20:19:03] <Pretorian> Let's move on.
[20:19:10] <Pretorian> 5) Challenge-response of webpages
[20:19:14] <Pretorian> cologic
[20:19:28] <Pretorian> This was basically making sure that the website challenge responses are correct/working?
[20:19:46] <Crise> (I assume it is working because nothing has broken in the two month gap)
[20:19:46] <cologic> Yes, and to my knowledge they now all are.
[20:19:57] <Pretorian> All right. 
[20:20:04] <Pretorian> Do we need to do anything in the future?
[20:20:19] <cologic> I'm not sure they're fully automated yet.
[20:20:21] <Pretorian> Maintenance or any update?
[20:20:46] <Crise> did you re-enable the cronjob for cert removal?
[20:20:55] <cologic> It's not been a problem so far as Crise has periodically added a subdomain, I believe, which should have reset the 90-day clock, but it needs to be automated in cron or similar. Fortunately, this is pretty easy.
[20:21:09] <cologic> Crise: I had not, no. I will do that.
[20:22:26] <Pretorian> If it was done 60+ days ago, it's likely we need to make sure it validates nicely by the next meeting.
[20:22:59] <cologic> Yes, indeed.
[20:23:34] <Pretorian> All right, can you make sure it's set up with cron etc?
[20:25:20] <Crise> This is one task that should ideally be done before the holidays to be sure nothing breaks in the time people are on holiday
[20:25:29] <Pretorian> Indeed.
[20:25:36] <cologic> That's a good point. I'll do it within the next few days.
[20:25:41] <Pretorian> Great
[20:25:43] <Pretorian> Let's move on.
[20:25:45] <Pretorian> 6) Prepare DCNF web pages for affiliated projects
[20:25:48] <Pretorian> Crise
[20:26:04] <Pretorian> I'm not entirely sure what that type of preparation is.
[20:26:17] <Crise> and
[20:26:49] <Crise> they exist, and if stuff is pushed onto the *-web repositories under dcnf it gets synced
[20:27:20] <Pretorian> All right. I guess we need to play around with how one can navigate DCNF and the actual projects.
[20:27:34] <Pretorian> If it's possible to go from DCNF to the projects and vice versa.
[20:27:46] <Crise> notably, they are executed using git submodules... but the parent repository's submodule gitlinks do not need to be updated every time
[20:28:38] <Crise> (ie. do not run submodule update on a local checkout you work on the content for the main site, and don't do changes to sub projects through the main repository, but directly to their own repositories)
[20:28:53] <Pretorian> Well, I guess then it's on me or you to continue building the websites themselves.
[20:29:30] <Pretorian> They don't immediately hinge on the markdown conversion, in my opinion, since we need the rest up as well.
[20:30:10] <Crise> true... if you need anything, the documentation has been updated for the site, not sure how useful the added info is though
[20:30:30] <Crise> it is better organized now though
[20:31:14] <Pretorian> Ok, I'll make a note and let's continue.
[20:31:21] <Pretorian> (please stop me if you think I'm going too fast)
[20:31:28] <Pretorian> 7) Review NMDC URI scheme
[20:31:36] <Pretorian> Open floor.
[20:31:57] <Pretorian> I've read through the URI scheme twice and I think it's pretty good to be honest...
[20:32:06] <Pretorian> < ... me-0.5.txt>
[20:32:28] <Pretorian> There isn't anything immediate I think we can improve.
[20:32:29] <cologic> I don't really remember in detail what the concerns the mailing list raised regarding it were.
[20:32:33] <Pretorian> Thoughts/ideas?
[20:32:43] <Pretorian> < ... html#01670>
[20:32:50] <cologic> I know there was some pointing at what security concerns were, for example, but they weren't very clear.
[20:32:56] <poytest> sorry, I haven't (re-)read it yet.
[20:32:59] <Crise> Seems like it is in a really good spot to me, although... having said that when I read it earlier today I didn't remember the example the exact criticisms levvied at it
[20:33:10] <Pretorian>  < ... 01676.html> and < ... 01725.html> are the latest
[20:33:20] <Crise> is that the same text that is on gitlab repo?
[20:33:29] <Crise> that is where I read it from
[20:33:44] <Pretorian> Likely, it's just a simple text file.
[20:34:11] <cologic> ... 01676.html is mostly positive, except for "Mainly, I'd be looking for indications that this has been reviewed by some people who are aware of the problems that public protocols can run into."
[20:34:28] <cologic> ... 01725.html has more substantive critiques.
[20:35:24] <cologic> It's odd, the second link almost suggests they're looking for not-exactly-semantics, but hints at semantics, which I'd have thought were out of scope of a URI proposal.
[20:36:15] <cologic> And pointed to a snippet from the Wikipedia page summarizing what NMDC basically is. So if those aren't in the document, maybe adding those.
[20:36:44] <Pretorian> I think most of the comments have been addressed, and included.
[20:36:50] <Pretorian> But I'll make another pass on it.
[20:36:55] <Pretorian> For the next meeting I implore everyone to review the spec+the mails, so we can have this thing sent off again.
[20:37:10] <Pretorian> (or if we have a discussion some other day/time)
[20:37:28] <Pretorian> It's likely going to be Klyne that will review it in the official listing.
[20:37:50] <cologic> Yeah, will definitely do.
[20:37:52] <Pretorian> (i.e. what he says should be considered gospel)
[20:38:15] <cologic> Helpfully, he provided almost snippets of text to insert.
[20:38:26] <Pretorian> Yup
[20:38:47] <Pretorian> All right, let's move on
[20:38:49] <Pretorian> 8) Propose inclusion of affiliated projects
[20:38:52] <Pretorian> poy
[20:39:30] <poytest> sorry, nothing yet. hopefully for the next meeting, along with the previous item!
[20:39:40] <Pretorian> Fair enough
[20:40:05] <Pretorian> All right, that's all items from the previous meeting.
[20:40:14] <Pretorian> Does anyone have any additional items?
[20:40:30] <Pretorian> Pretorian-1) Annual meeting date
[20:40:51] <Pretorian> <I'll leave some time for people to state their items>
[20:41:18] <cologic> I don't have any additional items.
[20:41:34] <Crise> I think we can cover this years review in the annual meeting, so nothing from me either
[20:41:42] <Pretorian> All right.
[20:41:49] <Pretorian> Pretorian-1) Annual meeting date
[20:41:54] <Pretorian> I suggest 2017-01-08
[20:42:14] <Pretorian> Second Sunday (I doubt anyone want to have a meeting on the 1st)
[20:42:34] <cologic> Right. Yeah, works for me.
[20:42:39] <Crise> Same
[20:42:41] <Pretorian> I propose the same time as usually, but people should leave some additional time for that meeting since it's going to be way longer.
[20:42:43] <poytest> hehe good point.
[20:42:59] <Pretorian> It'll be in the same format as < ... 0Notes.txt>
[20:43:07] <Crise> yeah, too many ceremonies :)
[20:43:09] <Pretorian> So there's lots of voting and tallying etc.
[20:43:56] <Pretorian> Obviously, <> needs to be followed.
[20:44:14] <Crise> guess, if I am the securitary going forward I have to make a new years resolution to do better on the writing of the protocol documents (not that they are required for monthly meetings, I think?)
[20:45:01] <Pretorian> A protocol isn't required for the monthly meeting, but it might be for the annual meeting.
[20:45:18] <Crise> good to know
[20:45:36] <Pretorian> The protocol can be requested by the authorities, so it's best to have it done for the annual meeting.
[20:45:46] <Pretorian> All right, does anyone have any additional items?
[20:45:59] <cologic> I don't have any additional items.
[20:46:02] <Pretorian> If not, here's the list for stuff
[20:46:03] <Pretorian> 1) Update donators list with dates (Pretorian)
2) Migrate ASCIIDocs to Markdown (Pretorian)
3) Automatic certificate management (cologic)
4) Update DCNF web pages for affiliated projects (Pretorian, Crise)
5) Review NMDC URI scheme (Pretorian, cologic, Crise, poy)
6) Propose inclusion of affiliated projects (poy)
[20:46:05] <Crise> none
[20:46:14] <Pretorian> (I don't have any either)
[20:46:19] <Pretorian> poy, anything?
[20:46:28] <poytest> all good to me.
[20:46:50] <Pretorian> All right, that concludes this meeting. Thank you all.
[20:46:52] <Pretorian> <end>