<Pretorian> Welcome to DCNF monthly meeting, it is 2016-09-04.
<Pretorian> For simplicity sake, I will be the chairman and Crise has agreed to act as secretary.
<Pretorian> What we do need is a head count, so just state your names.
<Pretorian> Crise should be here?
<Pretorian> Oh, well, he'll announce when he's here.
<Pretorian> There's a few items from the last meeting:
<Pretorian> 1) Write HTTPS article. (cologic/klondike)
2) Finalize suggested-projects list/Code of Conduct (Pretorian)
3) E-mail to EFF/GNU about license for the website (Pretorian)
4) Finalize donators list (Pretorian)
5) Site documentation (Crise, everyone else feedback)
6) Move ADC/NMDC project websites (as affiliated projects) to DCNF (Pretorian)
<Pretorian> 1) Write HTTPS article.
<cologic> I'll get something done within the next couple of days.
<Pretorian> Let Crise know on progress/if there's anything you need.
<cologic> Will do.
<Pretorian> The important parts, I think, that Crise need is "how to properly add subdomains to the letsencrypt certs"
<cologic> Okay, I'll focus on making sure that's usable.
<Pretorian> Let's move on.
<Pretorian> 2) Finalize suggested-projects list/Code of Conduct
<Pretorian> There is now <https://www.dcbase.org/affiliated_projects>
<Pretorian> Now that I've bothered to actually investigate how to upload/manage the site, I'll be making updates to this page.
<Pretorian> In particular links to the current affiliated projects, as well as more exhaustive descriptions of proposed projects.
<Crise> just to interject, if you want a page that has a menu at the top, look at pages such as contribute or meetings
<Pretorian> If people have additional propositions, I'm all ear... I picked the proposals that people had said previously with e.g. Internetfonden.
<Pretorian> Crise: Ah, yeah, that'd be great to have. Thanks for reminding me, I'll do that.
<cologic> Seems like a good list, basically -- nontrivial but not excessively ambitious.
<Pretorian> (the text is not spellchecked, mind you :P)
<Pretorian> Unless people have further comments on that particular page, we'll continue.
<Pretorian> 3) E-mail to EFF/GNU about license for the website
<Pretorian> I haven't done this, sorry.
<Pretorian> I can't say when it'll be done, someone need to ping me later this week.
<Pretorian> Just poke me until it's done.
<Pretorian> 4) Finalize donators list
<Pretorian> Initial list is done, two things need to be done 1) update list (someone donated this last week) and 2) upload to the Gitlab server.
<Pretorian> My plan is to do this later this evening.
<Pretorian> (i.e. after this meeting).
<Pretorian> The initial list also had first names and last names switched, due to different country conventions.
<Pretorian> 5) Site documentation
<Pretorian> This is available as <https://www.dcbase.org/docs>, right?
<Pretorian> Something that should be added is "-" to use a list.
<Crise> also, for reference look at the bottom right corner of most pages and click source, you can view the twig template responsible for that page in your browser like that
<Pretorian> Ah, cool.
<Pretorian> Well, I think the page is great.
<Pretorian> I haven't read it all, mostly because it's so much info. :P
<Crise> example: https://www.dcbase.org/affiliated_projects?source=view
<Pretorian> The additional site information you've added is in <https://www.dcbase.org/privacy_draft>
<Pretorian> Which I think is great as well.
<Pretorian> The forum's offline at the moment, are you upgrading it or something?
<Crise> also https://www.dcbase.org/boilerplate/ and https://www.dcbase.org/boilerplate/blan ... ource=view
<Pretorian> It's been like that for a few hours.
<cologic> Oh, I like that.
<cologic> The mix of fairly clean HTML tags and the generating format.
<Crise> re forums, the current version of phpbb does not support php7
<Pretorian> There's an RC at least <https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2377556>
<Crise> yeah, I will update to that soon, was hoping they would have a second one out by now
<Pretorian> Fair enough.
<Pretorian> Let's move on.
<Pretorian> 6) Move ADC/NMDC project websites (as affiliated projects) to DCNF
<Pretorian> This is partially done with <https://gitlab.com/dcnf/adc-code> and <https://gitlab.com/dcnf/nmdc-code>
<Pretorian> Will move the web, or a comparable version, once the subdomain stuff is sorted out.
<Pretorian> Agreed to move the web page toward the same type of platform as dcbase.org is on.
<Crise> yeah the web stuff is going to need some work... as I said earlier I don't want to have to make all backend changes in triplicate going forward
<Pretorian> Potentially also discontinuing the use of ASCIIDoc, although I am not entirely convinced of it.
<Pretorian> Yeah, understandable.
<cologic> Does ASCIIDoc have any particular advantage over e.g., Twig? I guess Twig is tied more to PHP, etc.
<Crise> asciidoc is fine, the only problem with it is that it is a dependancy that we can't plug into the site the same way I did for eg. markdown
<cologic> Or Markdown or whatever is generating the site otherwise.
<Crise> as for Twig, it is a full templating engine that I extended a bit... part of the symfony framework (which we do not use) but it is ridiculously powerful
<Pretorian> I think the web page can get migrated first, then we might omit the use of ASCIIDoc.
<Pretorian> Since we'd need to change the actual spec documents.
<Crise> if twig and markdown have a clear advantage over asciidoc it would be that they can easily be processed on the fly as opposed to asciidoc
<Crise> the latter having to be pre-generated
<Pretorian> We'd have to also see that the Twig/Markdown can generate a similar structure of content.
<Pretorian> I'd prefer to not have to change the layout of the actual resulting HTML pages.
<Crise> if markdown is not enough, textile is one alternative that I can also easily add support for
<Crise> however, asciidoc doesn't have a parser that I can plug in with twig (it's python, right?)
<Pretorian> Python yeah.
<cologic> It does sound like better integration with the website is a strong reason to move from ASCIIDoc if feasible.
<Crise> markdown has the disadvantage of not being able to do tables, textile could do tables though afaik
<Pretorian> Tables are absolutely crucial.
<Crise> yeah, figured as much so then it would be textile, I don't think Parsedown supports the mardown syntax for tables, but I have not tested it
<Crise> as a matter of fact I will test if we can use tables with markdown right now
<Pretorian> Timeline proposal:
1) HTTPS article
2) Set up of website in preparation for projects
3) Migrate webpages for ADC/NMDC projects
4) Make sure tables work in the new markdown/Twig scheme
5) Migrate the current ASCIIDoc pages to the new form
<cologic> Seems reasonable.
<Crise> re markdown and tables: https://www.dcbase.org/files/test.md so they sort of work
<Pretorian> It'd be nice with borders.
<cologic> THere's no step at which point if the rest of the steps fail or get delayed, it's necessary to to roll back that step.
<Crise> re table layout, that is just CSS... easy
<Crise> I wasn't even sure parsedown was capable of table syntax, but looks like it is
<Pretorian> I suppose that table investigation is already on its way. :P
<Crise> but basically, I can in theory add support for any flavour of markup or formatting language if you want me to, as long as it has a native php parser
<Crise> if markdown falls short for whatever reason
<cologic> How different, syntaxwise, are these different markup languages?
<cologic> AsciiDoc, Markdown, Twig, ...
<Pretorian> You can see here; <https://sourceforge.net/p/nmdc/svnroot/ ... k/NMDC.txt>
<Crise> textile and markdown have some similarities syntax wise... as for markdown and twig, those can't compare
<cologic> Pretorian: AsciiDoc, correct?
<Crise> yeah that is ascii doc
<Crise> for example, the markdown syntax for tables is:
<Pretorian> Not too different.
<Crise> if something like pandoc supports asciidoc syntax, we could try automatic conversion... that said I have no clue if it does
<Crise> to markdown or whatever we end up choosing, the markdown support is already there... adapting that to support and arbitrary parser class wouldn't be too hard
<Pretorian> So, Crise, you'll investigate support for tables/ASCIIDoc conversion.
<Crise> (keeping in mind the caveat I mentioned above, about said parser having to be php)
<Pretorian> Don't really need to address the details right now.
<Pretorian> Let's continue.
<Pretorian> All right, that's all items from the previous meeting.
<Pretorian> Does anyone have any additional items?
<Pretorian> 1-Pretorian: OVH server + domain
<Pretorian> Well, I'll address that directly then.
<Pretorian> The server is paid for, the domain is paid for, but I still have to pay for the Loopia service (got invoice today).
<Crise> 1-Crise, draft notice for privacy page
<cologic> I don't have any additional items, no.
<Pretorian> Ok, Crise?
<Crise> basically, look it over and tell me if I can remove the draft notice
<Pretorian> I think you can.
<Pretorian> Do we need a "Cookies" link in the bottom, similar to open source and privacy information?
<Pretorian> By the way, perhaps switch places with open source and privacy information since they are in a different order on the actual page.
<Crise> fair enough will do
<Crise> re cookies, we have a consent thingy when you visit the page for the first time that references the page
<Pretorian> Oh, right, true.
<Pretorian> That was cool, by the way.
<Pretorian> You built that yourself?
<Crise> heh, hurray for the important laws... yeah pretty much, it wasn't that hard
<Crise> anyways, as you get more comfortable with the site... if you have any questions or something is unclear don't hesitate to ask
<Pretorian> Yeah, will do.
<Pretorian> All right, let's move on.
<Pretorian> Any additional items?
<Pretorian> List of upcoming stuff:
1) Write HTTPS article. (cologic/klondike)
2) E-mail to EFF/GNU about license for the website (Pretorian)
3) Finalize donators list (Pretorian)
4) ASCIIDoc migration (away from) (Crise)
<Pretorian> Unless there's nothing more, let's conclude this meeting.
<Pretorian> If there's*
<cologic> I don't have anything more.
<Pretorian> All right, that concludes this meeting. Thank you all.